Post office: 664 08 Blažovice
Number of inhabitants: 1085
First historical mention: 1131
Address: 664 08 Blažovice 242
Telephone: 544 243 886
Fax: 544 243 883
The village lies practically in the centre of the former Austerlitz battleground. Related to the battle are above all two localities: the black-smithy, where the French soldiers had their horses shoed, and the house opposite, which has cannon balls inserted in the walls. The chronicles from the period speak about Blažovice being in flames during the battle, the gardens being trampled, fences ripped out, the windows were just empty holes and Blažovice creek was coloured red by blood. The year 1805 is also commemorated by the belfry from the year 1832 with commemorative plaques of two French commanders, who fell in the battle: Pierre Catox and the commander of the French Jaeger Cavalry, Colonel Jean Pierre Morland. timberland pas cher
Other commemorative plaques are placed on the walls of the former monastery farmhouse and on the building of the school. By the mass grave nearby Staré vinohrady (Old Vineyards) today stands a way side column. In the village, which offers many sporting activities, every year within the framework of the pious events for the anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz, a commemorative mass is given. At the beginning of the year 2001 a new Roman-Catholic parish was established here.
Post office: 683 51 Holubice
Number of inhabitants: 849
First historical mention: 1371
Address: Holubice 61
In the environs of Holubice situated in the northern part of the battleground the heavy cavalry fighting took place. Situated between Holubice and Tvarožná, through the area where the highway leads, is the so called Plain of Cavaliers, where the Cavalry Division of Prince Murat fought with the Russian and Austrian Cavalry under the leadership of General Bagration and Duke Lichtenstein. One of the legends talks about the Holubice trench, which was after the battle filled in with dead bodies of soldiers and horses. Mass graves are found around Hamr's Rock. In the village is a historical army unit of ten men, which regularly participates in the commemorative events.
Post office: 683 52 Křenovice
Number of inhabitants: 740
First historical mention: 1270
Address: Hostěrádky-Rešov 212
Telephone: 544 229 320
Fax: 544 229 320
The village is situated in the southern part of the battleground, on the slope of Stará hora (Old Mountain) and Prace knoll – the Peace Memorial Mohyla míru of the Battle of Austerlitz and the last resting place of the many fallen, is only half an hour walking distance from here. In the Napoleonic war period the village had more than fifty houses and three hundred inhabitants. With the exception of the stone belfry from 1820 and a way side column in the middle of the village there are no really significant monuments connected with the Battle of Austerlitz found in Hosteradky-Resov. Although worth mentioning is the fact, that in spite of the war struggle, the old wine-growing traditions of the village have still been kept. The significance of good wine and hospitality of the local wine-growers is proved by the grape vine and wine-grower's knife, which are a part of the village seal. In the vicinity of the village is a water reservoir, where swimming and fishing is possible.
Post office: 664 51 Šlapanice u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 858
First historical mention: 1264
Address: Za školou 230 Jiříkovice
Telephone: 544 24 33 49
Fax: 544 24 33 49
The village lies on the confluence of the creeks Romza and Roketnice approximately in the middle of the imaginary triangle Žuráň – Santon – Prace knoll. To the village of Jiříkovice also belongs the former roadside inn Rohlenka, built by the former Czar's road from Brno to Olomouc. In the eve of the Battle of Austerlitz on the 1st December 1805 a large part of Jiříkovice was burned down and looted. To remember this occasion the local inhabitants traditionally hold a commemorative pious event, when on Žuráň in the eve of the anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz they light bonfires, so called Jiříkovice Fires. bottes ugg pour homme
The iron cross on the mass grave behind the village by the road towards Tvarožná and a farmhouse, which was during the battle a field hospital of the French Army as well as the belfry on the village green were in 1996 declared to be cultural monuments. For the 195th anniversary of the battle in 2000 by the mass grave a memorial to the victims from the years 1805 – 1809 and in memory of Norbert Brassinne was premiered. nike air max 90
Through Jiříkovice village leads the tourist route The Peace Memorial Mohyla míru – Santon – Žuráň. Two sporting complexes and a Catholic House serve for sporting, cultural and social activities.
Post office: 664 51 Šlapanice u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 827
First historical mention: 1306
Address: Na Budínku 240, Kobylnice
Telephone: 544 228 383
Fax: 544 228 383
When the battle was nearing the end and the remainder of the Russian Army lead by General Przybyszewsky were trying to escape from the battleground towards Brno, it was just in Kobylnice, where French soldiers unexpectedly blocked their way. In contrast to the present day the countryside of the battleground consisted of many shallow ponds with flat and muddy dense overgrown banks, which no longer exist today. On the banks of the Kobylnice pond, which was situated on Zlatý potok (Golden Creek) towards Sokolnice, many soldiers with horses became bogged down during that time. Allegedly more than 5,000 men and several Generals from the Allied Armies put down their weapons here. In Kobylnice there is no preserved monument, that commemorates the events of the bloody battle. However every year at the beginning of August a traditional and very popular feast in local folklore costumes is held here.
Post office: 683 52 Křenovice
Number of inhabitants: 1747
First historical mention: 13th century
Address: Školní 535
Telephone: 544 223 129
Fax: 544 241 160
The village in the eastern part of the former battleground became famous thanks to the head commander of the Allied Armies General Michail Illarionovič Goleniščev-Kutuzov, who had his headquarters in the former Spáčil's farmhouse (No. 65). At night on the 2nd December 1805 just before the battle a war conference of the Allied Austro-Russian Armies took place here. The sad legacy is further reminded by Zlatá hora (Golden Mountain) above Křenovice, where besides a stone cross of conciliation lie mass graves of soldiers from the Battle of "Three Emperors" and victims of cholera from the years 1836 and 1886. In Křenovice is a historical fencing group Buhurt, which includes also the French Artillery Battery Santon 1805 Austerlitz, which actively participates in events connected with Napoleon's crusade through Europe. They organise in the village commemorative events for the anniversary of the battle – starting from marches and a pious service by the mass grave above Křenovice through to the period field encampment in the yard of the Village pub up to the staging of the war clash of the army units in the village green. Křenovice also offers a wide range of sporting activities; a new hall for ballgames, tennis courts, football grounds, outdoor swimming pool, shooting range etc.
Post office: 664 03 Podolí u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 1030
First historical mention: 1237
Address: Podolí 1
Telephone: 544 247 636
Fax: 544 247 636
Podolí lies north-west of the former Austerlitz battleground. The French soldiers in 1805 looted and destroyed Podolí chateau, its construction was completed ten years before the battle. The period chronicles mention, that the French took what they could; the chateau furniture was completely destroyed, most of the interior was broken and doors, windows and floors were burned. In Podolí itself and also in its environs other interesting destinations are situated. Found in the village is a small gallery of a local countryman, sculptor and medal engraver Rudolf Březa. South of the village leads the highway Brno – Olomouc; behind it lies the clearly noticeable knoll of Žuráň, which belongs to the Podolí administrative area and played a significant role in the Battle of Austerlitz. The village is spread out on the banks of the karst creek Říčka, along which leads the way to Mariánské (St.Mary's) valley, of which a large part belongs to the area of the National Park Moravian Karst. An interesting point also is that Podolí has a French sister village Ay-sur-Moselle. West of the village lies Kandia, a former roadside inn, where Napoleon spent four days before the Battle of Austerlitz and where the French headquarters was, also the former roadside inn Pindulka, where Napoleon dined together with his Marshals, Generals and adjutants on the 1st December 1805.
Post office: 664 51 Šlapanice
Number of inhabitants: 308
First historical mention: 1306
Address: Ponitovice 63
The village in the western part of the battleground was during the Battle of Austerlitz held by the 4th French Unit of Marshal Soult. It is said, that the way from the battleground through Ponětovice to Šlapanice, where the army hospital was located, was marked with the blood of the wounded. A dominant feature of the present village is above all a new Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk, built in the year 2000. In the year 1992 the Billiard club Ponětovice was established, which gained the 2nd place in the championship of the Czech Republic. It is pleasant to swim in the Grunty pond.
Post office: 664 07 Pozořice
Number of inhabitants: 2104
First historical mention: 1318
Address: Na Městečku 14
Telephone: 544 226 046
Fax: 544 226 531
Pozořice lies outside the area of the Austerlitz battleground, but is connected geographically and historically with it. The village with an immense Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary with four-sided towers and large neighbouring parish could clearly see on the north-east horizon the armies, gathering for the "Battle of Three Emperors" and moving on the Czar's road leading from Brno to Olomouc. adidas yeezy
Therefore the village wasn't saved from war suffering, as is proved by the statement of the priest Mikuláš Kvapil, founder of the chronicle of Pozořice parish: „…after the battle the French Army began to horrendously loot here and elsewhere, what took four days. They took horses from farmers… adidas gazelle pas cher
The door of the church was smashed in and all laundry, robes, a silver chalice and other things were stolen… asics chaussures
The diseases, which started in November depopulated Moravia instead of the plague." The church with parish, the gates leading to the old cemetery and the sculpture of the Crucifixion today create a historically protected complex of Baroque structures. Pozořice lies in close proximity to the Moravian Karst and Říčky Nature Park. The village is the birthplace of the writer František Neužil, who situated the story of several of his novels just into Pozořice and its environs. Between 1910 – 1946 Josef Žalman lived here, the Czech forestry expert, the ranger and cynologist, also founder of the Czechoslovakian Rangers Union.
Post office: 664 58 Prace
Number of inhabitants: 838
First historical mention: 1368
Address: Ponětovská 129
Telephone: 544 24 47 27
In the year 1805 Prace lied directly in the centre of the Battle of Austerlitz. Prace knoll, situated south of Prace, was a base of the Allied Armies and afterwards also a key point of the clash, which was in the afternoon conquered by the French 4th Army Unit of Marshal Soult. The village was during the battle considerably devastated, including the Baroque Parish Church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross, its tower was used by the Russian soldiers as a watch-tower. The top part of the tower collapsed after artillery fire; after reconstruction in 1810 it gained its present appearance. The bloody fighting in Prace and its environs is also reminded by a cross near the pond, marking a mass grave of Russian soldiers. On Prace knoll, from where it is possible to view two thirds of the former battleground, stands the Peace Memorial Mohyla míru, a dominant feature and a natural centre of the protected historical zone Austerlitz Battlefield. Every year at the beginning of December commemorative and pious events are held in this area, where the decisive phases of the battle took place. During the main tourist season and on state and religious holidays the Peace Memorial Mohyla míru is festively lighted.
Slavkov u Brna – Austerlitz
Post office: 684 01 Slavkov u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 5950
First historical mention: 1237
Address: Palackého nám. 64
Telephone: 544 121 111
Fax: 544 121 171
The town of Slavkov u Brna entered the annals of history through a Napoleonic Battle, and its castle has occupied an important place in the history of Central European Art, with its architectural value and its artistic setting. The current town settlement was created at the crossing of the long-past merchant routes leading from Brno over to Bučovice, Hodonín, and Vyškov. The monarchs domain was, at the turn of the 12th century, given to the Order of German Knights, which built a fortress here. Eleven commanders took turns, until it was confiscated by the Czech king, Sigismond of Luxembourg, in 1420's. Due to its agricultural background, it ranked among the wealthiest estates of the order in the Czech Kingdom. The developing settlement around the castle was given its own township and coat of arms by King Wenceslas IV, and today it has the privilege of being the oldest remaining coat of arms in the Czech Republic.
The face of the town changed at the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century. The original Gothic housing was replaced by the renaissance style, which is still noticeable in some buildings today, particularly in the center square, in portals, and in the entrances of "Mázhauzes" (translators note: a large parlor found in Medieval buildings), which have arched ceilings formed by barrel and cross vaults.
For almost one century, Slavkov was a refuge for German Anabaptists who were famed for their so-called Haban Ceramics. They contributed greatly to the economic prosperity of the town and its urbanization, and they were also living proof of the religious tolerance of the owners of the Slavkov Estate of that day. The core of the town was still enclosed by a late Gothic wall structure that had four gateways, and the inner settlement was formed by a large Jewish community in addition to the predominant Czech population.
During the Baroque period, an exquisite three-winged chateau was built according to plans by the architect Domenico Martinelli of Lucca (1650-1718), which was constructed in three stages, replacing already standing houses, and was completed under the rule of Duke Václav Kounic-Rietberg, in 1769. It took more than 60 years to build it, and this fact is significantly manifested by the richness of its interiors, which reflect the Italian concept of the chateau lifestyle from the early Baroque period through classicism. The social and political ambitions of the Kounic family managed, due to their exquisite artistic taste, to convert the Slavkov Chateau in the mid-18th century into a center for the presentation of Central European Flemish and Italian school paintings, which resulted in this gallery becoming one of the most popular and wealthiest in Europe at that time. However, the collection was severely damaged in the course of the Napoleonic Wars and during a fire in the Chateau in 1897. The Chateau is still open to the public, so visitors may still witness some of the excellent Central European paintings from the 17th and 18th century.
However, the Baroque period deprived Slavkov of the northern town gateway, the Gothic cathedral of St. Jacob the Elder, and the Belfry, which were all sacrificed for the extension of the Manor Park. A classicist parish church, the Resurrection of the Lord, was then built, but the marshy lands prevented the planned twin towers from being built. louboutin soldes
The town housing was sensitively incorporated into the landscape through the use of axial avenues, which remarkably still comprise the urban structure of the town.
The Kounic family mausoleum, which is beneath the little church of St. John the Baptist at Špitálka, proves how important the town was for this aristocratic family, whose lineage survived in the town for 410 years. The personality of the State and Conference Minister, Václav Antonín Dominik – the Duke Kounic-Rietberg (1711-1794), brought representatives of the Habsburg ruling family to the Chateau and contributed to the town's visibility in the Central European region. The stay of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte I at the Chateau in 1805 and his proclamation after winning the Battle at Slavkov made Slavkov, at that time still called Austerlitz, well known throughout the entire cultural world.
(from Slavkov promotional information)
Post office: 664 52 Sokolnice
Number of inhabitants: 1926
First historical mention: 1350
Address: Komenského 435
Telephone: 544 224 131
Fax: 544 229 175
In Sokolnice the right wing of Napoleon's Army was concentrated, towards which was aimed the major attack of the Austro-Russian Armies. Tough battles were fought especially for the chateau and also for the former chateau granary. After the end of the battle imprisoned in the granary were several hundred captured Russian soldiers and on the fields behind it in mass graves were buried the ones who fell. Another alleged mass grave is marked by the Cross of Conciliation in the street Pod Stráží. Sokolnice chateau, in the mid 19th century rebuilt in Pseudo-Gothic style, today houses the Social Services Home; although only a part of the chateau park and a connected pheasantry are freely accessible. Still marked up to the present day in the pheasantry's perimeter wall are six crosses, indicating shooting posts of the French Artillery during the Battle of Austerlitz. In the centre of the village close to the village green lies a romantic pond with a small island, in the Balaton complex there is a wide range of sporting activities including recreational fishing.
Post office: 664 51 Šlapanice u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 6000
First historical mention: 1235
Address: Masarykovo nám.100/7
Telephone: +420 544 228 007
Fax: +420 544 228 096
The town situated approximately 7 kilometres east of Brno is today one of the points of entry into the area of the Austerlitz battleground, before the battle the town put up 20,000 French soldiers. Around the chateau the artillery set up camp, and the headquarters of the 4th Army of Marshall Soult was located on the square in a Renaissance-Baroque building of the scholastery, today a museum. The wounded French soldiers were transported straight from the battle to Šlapanice. bottes ugg pas cher
A small local chateau owned by the Duke Blümegen, today a high school, served as an Army Hospital. In the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary 400 Russian soldiers were imprisoned after the battle. At the beginning of December – as a part of the yearly pious and commemorative events to the anniversary of the "Battle of Three Emperors" – a Friday early evening pious event is held in a cemetery, on Saturday an exchange of militaries and on the following day, on Sunday, is a historical fair with stylish accompanying programme. Among the significant events we can also include Folklore Šlapanice Celebrations, held usually in the middle of August. The town also offers a number of sporting activities, especially in the tennis hall and in the outdoor swimming pool.
Post office: 664 59 Telnice u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 1242
First historical mention: 1244
Address: Ružová 243
Telephone: 544 224 410
Fax: 544 224 787
During the Battle of Austerlitz Telnice had a unique position: just here the first shots were fired, when in the eve of the battle the Austrian Hussars drove out the French soldiers. According to the village chronicle the battle started on the 2nd December 1805 in the very early hours of the morning right in Telnice, and here also in the afternoon of the same day it ended. Five times the Austrian and Russian soldiers penetrated the village and five times they were forced out by bayonet attacks of light and flexible French Infantry. nike air max 2016
After the battle the French soldiers confiscated all the food, cattle, wheat and even wine from the local inhabitants. To acquire the food they used drastic forcible methods, which caused angry resistance amongst the people. The most violent battles were fought on the fields by the way Na lopatě, where the way side column stands. Another way side column in Růžová street, built circa 1810, allegedly marks one of the mass graves. asics basket
Telnice offers a wide selection of cultural, sporting and social activities. Available for sporting enthusiasts is a new sports club house with a large sporting complex, for gourmets there is a wine bar with excellent Moravian wines and a restaurant with delicious home-made cooking.
Post office: 664 05 Tvarožná
Number of inhabitants: 1152
First historical mention: 1288
Address: Tvarožná 40
Telephone: 544 226 101
Fax: 544 226 101
The village, situated on the northern side of the battleground, eternally entered European history in the year 1805, when Emperor Napoleon chose Santon Hill, lying west of the village, as the base for the French artillery. Tvarožná at that time was a small village, where in circa sixty houses lived four hundred inhabitants and which was after the battle afflicted by a cruel fate as were all the other villages in the environs: the houses were demolished, the church looted and what wasn't stolen was purposely destroyed. nike requin
Tvarožná became known to the public also thanks to commemorative events and the mock battle, which has been staged here every year at the turn of November and December for the last twenty years and for which come army historical clubs from practically all over Europe. asics gel lyte 5
In the council building is a small museum and diorama of the Battle of Austerlitz, open to the public during council office hours and anytime by previous telephone agreement. The commemorative plague in the village green and a small white tomb-stone by the road, winding up to the top of Santon hill, are a reminder of all nameless soldiers as well as civilians, who fell in the Battle of Austerlitz. Since the year 2000 the memorial placed by the road above the village opposite Santon commemorates the death of General Valhubert.
Újezd u Brna
Post office: 664 53 Újezd u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 2741
First historical mention: 1131
Address: Komenského 107
Telephone: 544 22 43 36
Fax: 544 22 42 18
The village played a significant role in the Battle of Austerlitz. From Kříbky hillock above the village, where today stands a Neo-Romanesque chapel of St. Anthony Paduan, on the morning of the 2nd December 1805 the battle was started by artillery fire from Austrian cannons towards Telnice. Also from here Emperor Napoleon I. watched in the afternoon the retreat of the Allied Armies from the area around Sokolnice, Telnice and Žatčany. The battle ended in the afternoon with the fight of the French Infantry with Russian Imperial Guards of the Grand Duke Constantin, which also took place near Újezd and during which the original Chapel of St.Anthony burned down. ugg pour homme
Nowadays Újezd is a natural centre of the southern part of the former battleground. Visitors can choose between several restaurants, there is also an outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, riding club and other sporting facilities.
Post office: 683 52 Koenovice
Number of inhabitants: 381
First historical mention: 1211
Address: Zbýšov 7
Telephone: 544 22 34 21
Fax: 544 22 34 21
The agricultural and former wine-growing village lies in the south-east part of the battleground at the foothills of Prace knoll. The history of the year 1805 is reminded by the Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Sorrows, built on the Zbýšov village green in 1836 as a thanksgiving for surviving the struggle of the Napoleonic crusades. On the outside under the roof inserted in the wall are two cannon balls from the period armaments. An iron cross by the road to the vineyards on the eastern edge of the village indicates the last resting place of soldiers of all fighting parties. Within the administration area of Zbýšov below the peak of Staré vinohrady (Old Vineyards) lies a place, where several old routes crossed and through which during the Battle of Austerlitz all three Emperors went at different times of the day.
Post office: 664 53 Újezd u Brna
Number of inhabitants: 772
First historical mention: 1131
Address: Žateany 125
Telephone: 544 229 526
Fax: 544 254 858
The village once was surrounded by ponds from all sides – towards Telnice lied Žatčany pond, behind the road towards Hodonín then Měnín pond, with its 514 hectares being one of the largest water areas in Moravia. The ponds were gradually drained and converted into arable land, but during the period of the Battle of Austerlitz they still existed and played a significant role especially in its ending. Up to the present day there are still legends circulating that Napoleon forced his adversaries on the icy bed of the ponds, which under their weight collapsed. French historians, who issued from the Napoleon's proclamation after the victorious battle for a long time claimed, that during the retreat in Žatčany pond many enemy soldiers drowned. Although when after Napoleon's direct order the pond was drained between 8th – 12th December 1805, many dead horses were found, but only two or three dead Russian soldiers, not the expected hundreds or even thousands. However the legend about the ponds is still alive today. The Battle of Austerlitz in Žatčany is reminded by five iron cannon balls, in-built into the gable of the former farmhouse.