Get the map in higher resolution, please click HERE.
PS1 Šlapanice (Lapanz/Schlapanitz)
A town, east of Brno which, had more than 900 inhabitants in 1805 and played a role as an important supplier of bread and milk for Brno. Marching from Vienna to Olomouc, the Russian Field Marshal Kutusov arrived with his entourage here in the evening of November 17. The Austrian Lieutenant Marshal Liechtenstein lodged at the parish on November 19while troops camped in the town and its surroundings. The French arrived after the allied armieson November 20. Marshal Soult, who lodged in the building of the present-day museum, commanded the troops. General Nansouty commanded the cavalry from Murat’s Column. The reserve of Oudinot’s grenadiers with 40 cannons was positioned northwest of Šlapanice. After the battle, 400 captured Russians were imprisoned in the church for a short period of time. Hundreds of wounded soldiers were treated in a field hospital by a surgical outpatients’ department located in Blümegen’s chateau. Brigadier General Thiébault and General Valhubert, who died later in Brno, were among those treated. The town and neighbouring villages, belonging to a large parish, suffered great damage. The crucifixion column in the facade of the house at no. 6 Jiříkovská Street and the memorial to the fallen dated 1965 at the graveyard of Šlapanice, remind us of the events in Šlapanice in 1805.
Žuráň Hill, not far from the former imperial road between Brno – Olomouc, is actually an artificially piled up tumulus from the era of the migration of people, it is both one of the most famous and most historically precious localities of the Slavkov battlefield. Žuráň was the general headquarters of the French army at the beginning of the battle. Emperor Napoleon I and his entourage dined at “Pindulka”, a nearby inn, the night before the battle. Later, he rested in a makeshift shanty not far from a quarry for a short time. During the night, he received a message regarding the strategical plans of the allied armies for the upcoming battle. They intended to besiege the French army from the south, to cut its escape route to Vienna from where it expected its reinforcements to come, and to drive it back towards the Bohemian-Moravian Uplands (Českomoravská vrchovina). The blockade of the French from the right-hand side was supposed to be later undertaken by General Bagration’s Column in the northern part of the battlefield. Napoleon responded to the strategy of the allied armies with a brilliant counterstroke through the middle of the battlefront to the headquarters of the main forces of the allied armies on Pratecký Hill. This manoeuvre, called a “Lion’s Leap”, was preceded by the assembly of a strong task force in the befogged Rokytnice River valley between Žuráň and Pratecký Hills in the hours before dawn. Shortly after 8 a. m., when the famous sun of Slavkov, le soleil d’Austerlitz, was already upon the horizon of Pratecké Heights (Pratecké výšiny), and after a final short meeting with the headquarters staff on Žuráň, Napoleon ordered the commander of the 4th Column, Marshal Soult, to launch the decisive attack against the allied armies’ position. The successful attack on Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) and Pratecký Hill created the conditions for an overall victory for the Great French Army in the Battle of Slavkov. In 1930, a stone monument of with a plastic map showing the positions of the individual armies before the decisive clash, as a reminder of the glorious victory, was unveiled on Žuráň in the presence of Czechoslovakian and French generals – as an expression of then close Czechoslovakian-French relations.
PS3 Rohlenka (a car park)
This was the initial position of the French on the northern flank. Marshal Lannes commanded the French northward of the imperial road linking Brno – Olomouc; Marshal Murat commanded the French cavalry southward of the road. The greatest battle of cavalries in military history until then took place in the area surrounding the road. The Austrian Lieutenant Marshal and Duke, Jan Josef of Liechtenstein, commanded the allied armies. He was the owner of the nearby manor, Pozořice. The historical buildings of the “Rohlenka” inn were situated on the spot of the present day motorway restaurant bearing the same name. A mass grave dating back to 1805 was uncovered during the construction of a Mc Donald’s in September 1995. Several dozens of discovered remains definitely proved that a field hospital had been positioned here. One can see the dominant features of the Žuráň battlefield, Santon and Pratecký Hills from Rohlenka. On the first floor of the “Rohlenka”, highway restaurant, an exposition of the Battle of Slavkov has been opened since July 1, 2002, including a diorama of battles in the northern part of the Slavkov battlefield. Important roads make this area one of the main points of departure to the Slavkov battlefield, which is 120 square kilometres large and protected by a decree from the Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic.
In December 1805 this hill (originally called Padelek) was entrenched by the French artillery under general Claparéde. The French soldiers gave the hill its actual name. Entrenchments on the hill were supposed to guard the left wing of the French line against the outflanking manoeuvre of the corps of Russian lieutenant-general prince Bagration advancing from the Old Pozorice Post. Heavy fights took place there. Among the severly wounded was the French general Valhubert who died in Brno couple days later. For the construction of entrechments the French used the material from the original St. Mary chapel, renovated in 1832. Military history enthusiasts placed the replica of the French Gribeauval cannon there in 1988. From Santon it is possible to see Zuran, Pratzen Heights, southern peaks of Drahanska Highland, Zdanicky Forrest as well as outskirts of Brno. In the close surroundings there is the old imperial road to Olomouc, Rohlenka service station, Kosmak’s cross, general Valhubert’s monument (dedicated in 2000) and the village of Tvarozna (Bosenitz). On the field between the hill and the driveway to Tvarozna annual re-enactments of the battle of Austerlitz take place with the massive presence of the public. The top of the hill is included in the list of preserved natural monuments of the Brno-Country Region due to the occurrence of the thermophilic steppe flora. Santon is connected with many interesting legends.
PS5 Tvarožná – Blažovice (Bosenitz – Blazowitz, a crossing point)
An area where sharp clashes occurred between the troops of the French and Russian-Austrian light and heavy cavalries. South of the crossing, 20,000 cavalrymen fought in several waves from 9 to 11 a. m. In particular, it was here that Napoleon’s brother-in-law, Joachim Murat, received great renown for his horsemanship and martial arts capabilities. The Commander of the Austrian cavalry, Lieutenant Marshal Jan Josef of Liechtenstein, who was the owner of a large manor in South Moravia and a nearby manor in Pozořice, managed to equally match him.
Fighting on the French side:
– northward of the road to Olomouc – Suchet’s and d’Hautpaul’s divisions under Marshal Lannese’s command,
– southward of the road to Olomouc – Beaumont’s, Caffarelli’s, Kellerman’s, Nansouty’s and Walther’s divisions under Marshal Murat’s command.
On the side of the allied armies:
– northward of the road to Olomouc – Russian troops under General Bagration’s command,
– southward of the road to Olomouc – Austrian troops under The Duke of Liechtenstein’s command.
PS6 Blažovice – Jiříkovice (Blazowitz – Girzikowitz, behind the cooperative farm)
South of this observation point, French soldiers from General Saint Hillaire’s and Vandamme’s divisions, under the command of Marshal Soult and Marshal Bernadott, gathered here the night before the battle. Theirtroops, hidden in thick fog, iniated the decisive thrust at Pratecký Hill and Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) at approximately 8:30 a. asics pas cher
m. Historians would later call it “Napoleon’s Lion’s Leap”. This operation passed the Prace village, which was severely damaged. Hundreds of soldiers from both armies perished here. After a fourhour battle, the French emperor managed to fulfil his intentions of splitting the line of the allied armies and subsequently gaining the upper hand in the second stage of the battle. It is said that water in the Romza brook, which runs from Blažovice to Jiříkovice, turned red with the blood of the dead and wounded soldiers.
PS7 Staré vinohrady (Old Vineyards) (a crossing point between Blažovice – Zbýšov)
Old Vineyards Hill (296 meters above sea level) is situated in the central part of the battlefield. The Generalissimo of the allied armies, General Kutusov, chose it as his general headquarters. On December 2, 1805 from 8 a. m., the Austrian Emperor Franz and Russian Tsar Alexander monitored the movements of the French troops from there as well as the descent of his soldiers towards Sokolnice according to Austrian General, Franz von Weyrother’s, plan. Only General Miloradovič’s divisions and the Austrian General Kollowrat’s troops remained on the hill. Soultov’s and Bernadott’s divisions were positioned in a befogged valley between Jiříkovice and Ponětovice. The “Sun of Slavkov” rose for Napoleon on Žuráň at 8 a. m. It was the anniversary of his coronation. At 8.30 a. m. – he ordered the attack. Four-hours of heavy fighting erupted. The allied armies even rallied the reserve tsar guard under the command of the Tsar’s brother, Constantine Pavlov. It was a fight in which guard met against guard. Napoleon himself commanded the tsar guard and he victoriously finished his “Lion’s Leap” this way. Before noon, the French apparently predominated and Tsar, Emperor and General Kutusov left the battlefield. Napoleon with his entourage moved from Žuráň through Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) and Pratecký Hill to the Chapel of St. Anthony above Újezd, from where he monitored the retreat of the allied armies near Žatčanský and Měnínský Ponds, which was more difficult because of French canons. The battle was decided definitively.
PS8 Krenovice (cyklotrail Nr. 5097)
The village Krenovice is located on the eastern edge of the Austerlitz battlefield. On December 2nd 1805 in morning hours the Allied monarchs, Russian Tsar Alexander I. and Austrian Emperor Francis I. drove through there and shortly before noon were fleeing from the battlefield, too. To the north and west from the village the Russian guard under Tsar’s brother Konstantin Pavlovich was manoeuvering in noon hours. The village is most renowned though for the fact that on the night before the battle the Weyrother’s battle plan was created in Spacil’s estate there. This tactical plan of the Allies presumed the outflanking of the French army from the south and north followed by its destruction at Slatina area. However the intention was thwarted by Emperor Napoleon’s unexpected attack against the weakened Allied centre. Austrain soldiers had their quarters in the local mansion and in the Spacil’s estate there was the M. I. Kutusov’s HQ. ugg 2017
In front of the house there is now placed the memorial plaque commemorating this event. Above Krenovice on the hill called Zlata Hora there is one of the many mass graves of the battle.
PS9 Zbýšov (Zbeichow)
General Langeron’s Column passed through the village of Zbýšov and its surroundings before the Battle of Slavkov andtook position on Pratecký Hill. General Liechtenstein’s cavalry arrived to the village from Slavkov and camped north of the village in the direction of Prace and Křenovice. Between 11 and 12 a. m. on December 2, 1805, the Russian and Austrian battalions were leaving under the protection of General Liechtenstein’s cavalry and centurion Zocchi’s firebase. The soldiers were retreating through Zbýšov, Šaratice and Křenovice to Slavkov. Two memorials remind us of the battle. The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows in the village square has round shots from the battle walled in its two corners. Northeast of the village, there is a cross built on an alleged grave of those fallen in the battle. The bones of the fallen were transported to Krchůvek near Křenovice and the cross itself is no longer in its original place.
PS10 Hostěrádky-Rešov (Hostieradek – Reschow)
A village on the boundary of Vyškov and Brno-venkov counties. It used to include two independent villages and is located on the side of an Old Hill (Stará hora), which witnessed the battle in 1805. The armies passed here before the battle and the Russian troops of the First Echelon commanded by General Docturov were positioned on the west side facing Sokolnice and Kobylnice in the morning on December 2, 1805. The troops included regiments of riflemen, musketeers, grenadiers and Cossacks. The Austrian General Kienmayer’s Column consisting of borderer’s regiments moved them forward. The Russian General Langeron’s Column deployed on the northwest side. After 7 a. m., Docturov left the positions on Pratecký Hill and advanced through Hostěrádky and Újezd towards Telnice.
PS11 Sokolnice – Prace – Ujezd u Brna (Sokolnitz – Pratzen – Augezd)
The area of so-called southern wing. On December 2nd 1805 in early morning hours the battle actualy started in Sokolnice and Telnice. Allied columns under generals Dochturov, Langeron and Przybyszewski charged the French right wing. Mutual alternating attacks decided the arrival of Davout’s troops from Rajhrad (Raygern) and Rebesovice (Rebeschowitz) at 9AM. They set so-called flexible defence. This prevented the Allied breakthrough and outflanking manoeouvre. The other breaking moment for the good of the French was their advance in the rear of Allied columns after capturing Pratzen Heights. This happened shortly after 12AM. The final phase of Allies took place between 3PM-4PM.
PS12 Ujezd u Brna – St. Anthony chapel
PS13 Žatčany – Újezd – Sokolnice (Satzcan – Augezd – Sokolnitz)
General Docturov’s and General Langeron’s troops fought against Legrand’s, Bourcier’s and Frianta’s French divisions northwest of this place and north of Žatčanský pond from the early morning. During the morning, both fighting enemies took turns in seizing the positions in the villages of Sokolnice and Telnice. The flexible French defense prevented the allied armies from blocking or breaking through this flank. After the French gained control of Pratecký Hill and raided the allied armies from the back and besieged them among Žatčany, Újezd, Sokolnice and Telnice, a group of soldiers fled along the embankment between the Žatčanský and Měnínský ponds after noon. The battle finished there and the allied armies retreated towards Slavkov and Hodonín.
PS14 Žatčany – an embankment of a former pond
The remainders of the allies, mainly the Russian General Docturov’s troops, retreated along this route at the end of the battle. Their retreat was accompanied by the shooting of French canons from near the Chapel of St. Anthony above Újezd upon the frozen Žatčanský and Měnínský ponds. The shooting and difficult terrain hindered the movement of the troops causing several soldiers, horses and canons to sink into the cold water and mud near the embankment between these two ponds. The retreat through the valley of the Litava River was secured by the troops of borderers under the command of the Russian General Kienmayer and a regiment of Austrian hussars under the command of General Nostice between Rychmanov and Žatčany. In the end, they prevented the French General Vandamm’s troops from attacking the retreating troops. This stage of the battle was considerably exaggerated by French propaganda which quoted hundreds of dead and drowned soldiers. The examination of the ponds after the battle refuted these claims.
PS15 Boží Muka – Telnice – Sokolnice (Telnitz – Sokolnitz, The Crucifixion column)
A Crucifixion column on the northern part of the Telnice village in the area called “Na lopatě” (On a Spade”). Here, heavy fights took place between the Austrian Captain Lažanský’s hussars and French tirailleurs in this area beginning early in the morning. Individual troops from both sides took turns trying to break through,this situation continued throughout the entire morning. Emperor Napoleon predicted the intentions of the allied armies to go around the French right flank through the left flank. Soldiers of the allied armies were besieged by the French cavalry divisions here and forced to retreat.
This monument, as many others, stands as a mass grave where the victims are buried.
PS16 Sokolnice – Telnice (Sokolnitz – Telnitz, a flyover near a road)
The territory of the Sokolnice-Telnice road, not far from a railway underpass on the southwest border of the battlefield, was the head of the southern flank of the French army. It was protected by the stream known as Golden Brook (Zlatý potok). Marshal Davout brought his troops, who successfully joined the battle directly from their march. At Emperor Napoleon’s direct order, they ensured a “flexible defense”, disabling both the breakthrough and blockade of the French positions. Subsequently, they made a decisive contribution to the overall victory. Here, near the Golden Brook, Bourcer’s French cavalry division and Legrand’s Infantry Division fought with the allied troops of the Austrian Lieutenant Marshal Kienmayer and the Russian Generals Docturov and Langeron.
PS17 Sokolnice (Sokolnitz) – a chateau, granary, pheasantry
Sokolnice, with its central footholds – a chateau granary, the chateau itself and a pheasantry – were the centres of defence within the French army’s southern flank. Here, the main powers of the allied armies gathered. Legrand’s and Friant’s divisions fought on the French side and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Column under General Docturov’s, General Langeron’s and General Przybyszewský’s command on the side of the allied armies. After the battle, the granary, a monumental Baroque utility building, was used as a provisional prison for 400 Russians; prisoners buried the fallen soldiers in the mass graves behind it. Another alleged grave is marked with a propitiatory cross in the street under Stráž Hill; nevertheless, it was moved several times. Five signs (or crosses) on the perimeter wall of the pheasantry, near the district road to Kobylnice, mark theoriginal location where five French canons once stood.
PS18 Kobylnice (Kobelnitz)
Kobylnice is a village in the middle of the western border of the battlefield. Only a few buildings stood here in 1805. Individual units continued to gather here and in the nearby surroundings, in particular, following dramatic developments near the Prace village as well as during the battle for a hawking chateau. General Levasseur’s right flank protected the right wing of Saint-Hillair’s division near Kobylnice during the attack of Pratecký Hill, commanded by Marshal Soult. In the morning, a portion of Durocov’s grenadiers division fought near the pheasantry, while a greater part fought against General Przybyszewský’s troops near Kobylnice. At the end of the battle, the released Saint-Hillair’s, Vandamm’s divisions and the guard turned southwest towards Pratecký Hill and hemmed Buxhöwden’s troops in a circle, which was closed by a division of grenadiers in the north of Kobylnice. Between 3 and 4 p. m., Przybyszewski attempted to break through northwards to Kobylnice and was met with the resistance from the main forces of the grenadiers. He was driven back and besieged in the southeast of the village, Dvorska.
PS19 Mohyla míru – jih (Monument of Peace – south) (a car park – barracks)
From this point, located above the serpentines of a road, ascending to Sokolnice and Telnice, we have a good view of the southern part of the Slavkov battlefield. Emperor Napoleon and his entourage passed through here towards the nearby Chapel of St. Anthony above Újezd at about 2 p. m. on December 2, 1805. He monitored the dramatic ending of the battle and called back the retreat of the allied armies, pursued by fire from French canons, on the embankment between the Žatčanský and Měnínský ponds towards Újezd, Sternov and Rychmanov. When the battle finished, he descended on horseback to the valley to look over the battlefield, where he could see dead soldiers and hear the cries of wounded ones.
PS20 Mohyla míru (Monument of Peace) (a car park)
Pratecký Hill (324 above sea level) with the Tumulus of Peace is the highest point in the battlefield. In 1805, it was not forested and it overlooked the majority of the battlefield then. At the beginning of the battle, the Austrian Emperor Franz and the Russian Tsar Alexander were here, as well. It was occupied by soldiers from Kamenský’s Column and Kollowrat’s division. It was seized by the French troops from Saint-Hillair’s division, Thiebault’s, Varé’s and Levaseuer’s Columns at 11 a. m. The Austrian General Jirčik and his soldiers excelled during the defense, however, the general was seriously wounded here and later died from his injuries. The Tumulus of Peace was built in Art Nouveau style on the hill at the initiative of a Catholic priest, P. Alois Slovák, and of a Committee established under his insistance. It was designed by an architect from Prague, Fantain 1911. A museum was built here later. The Tumulus of Peace is a symbol of the region and a reminder of a bygone event. It emphasises the rapprochement of nations and is an eternal reminder of the thousands of victims who came to lay down their lives from afar to the Moravian Field. The events are commemorated in a ceremony, which takes place on the anniversary day of the battle every year.
PS21 Ponětovice – Prace (Puntowitz – Pratzen)
Northeast of this point in the direction of Žuráň – Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady), a task force taking part in the so called “Lion’s Leap” was assembled by Napoleon’s order from December 1 to December 2 overnight. It happened among the villages of Jiříkovice, Ponětovice, and Blažovice. Saint Hillaire’s, Vandamme’s, Rivaud’s, Drouet’s and Duroc’s divisions were positioned hidden in fog. The first two divisions headed the offensive formations. Marshal Bernadott’s 1st Column was their reserve. Befogged, they began their attack on Pratecký Hill and Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) from here in the morning. This manoeuvre was the decisive step towards the overall victory. There is a good view of the whole centre of the battlefield from this vantage point.
PS22 Ponětovice – rybník (Puntowitz, a pond)
Two of General Thiebault’s regiments of rank and files from the General Saint-Hilaire’s 1st Infantry Division from the 4th Soult’s Column were positioned on the eastern part of the Ponětovice village in the initial position before the battle. Along the road, a division of grenadiers under the command of General Oudinot and General Duroce, which originally were part of Marshal Lannese’s 5th Column, was included in the arrangement of the so-called Soult’s “Lion’s Leap”. The territory is a part of plateau under Žuráň Hill from where one can see the entire central part of the battlefield.
PS23 Jiříkovice (Girzikowitz, a farm between Šlapanice and Jiříkovice)
This post is a part of the plateau at the foot of Žuráň Hill, not far from Napoleon’s commanding position at the beginning of the Battle of Slavkov. From here, one can view the central and northern part of the battlefield. The troops of the imperial guard, commanded by Marshal Bessiéres, were deployed behind the commanding post. They were supported by Generals Rivaud and Drouet and their divisions as well as divisions from Marshal Bernadott’s 1st Column, deployed before Žuráň. Their left flank overlapped the right flank of General Caffarelli’s 1st Infantry Division from Marshal Lannese’s 5th Column deployed in front of them. They protected the headquarters of the French armies on Žuráň, from where the “general instructions” for the battle of December 2 were given. These troops fought at the Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) during the last hours of the day.
PS24 Jiříkovice (Girzikowitz) – a noble yard
The village of Jiříkovice was divided among three owners in 1805 – Count Braid’s Lower Court of Šlapanice, a Dietriechstein hawking manor, and the Convent of St. Anne in Brno. Most of the inhabitants lost the roofs over their heads during the evening before the battle. Napoleon followed the positions of his troops and stumbled over a tree root or perhaps the leg of a sleeping soldier in the dark. Somebody lit up a wisp of straw in order to light the Emperor’s way. They hailed the Emperor and lifted burning straw on sabres and rifles. The Emperor did not like it at first, but later smiled at the display. Many roofs in Jiříkovice fell prey to this event. Hiding inhabitants sadly watched how thatches, trusses, gates and fencing disappeared in the cold night thanks to the soldiers from Vandamm’s division. This event is recorded as the “Fires of Jiříkovice”. A French division field hospital was moved to Jiříkovice at the beginning of the battle. It was situated in farm buildings belonging to the manor. When searching for the fallen soldiers who perished on December 10, records kept by an unknown French health officer regarding the activities of the outpatient’s department were found. Besides the unknown soldiers, Colonel Lacon, Major Kuna and Captain Heudelin from the 16th regiment of dragons were buried here. More than 8 officers and 62 soldiers from both the armies were treated here in a few hours. A cross near the road to Tvarožná is where an alledged mass grave lies. A memorial to the victims from the 1805 and 1809 wars and to Norbert Brassinn, a peace pilgrim from Belgian Waterloo, was unveiled here before the anniversary in 2000.
PS25 Holubice (Holubitz, near a state road – a bus station)
Heavy fighting took place in the northern part of the Slavkov battlefield near the villages of Holubice and Kruh. About 8 a. m., 1,000 cavalrymen from Bagrationov’s Column attacked the hostile French light cavalry, which attempted to avert the attack. They literally knocked down the first wave of attacking uhlans with a volley. More than three hundred horses dropped dead and the others were stumbling over, throwing off their riders. The French light cavalry rallied again behind the wall of infantry and started a counterattack. The Russian attack turned into retreat. Runaway horses could not be stopped and many of them sank into a deep slack near Kruh and Holubice. The persistence of the Austrian Lieutenant Marshal Liechtenstein’s cavalry helped Bagrationov to consolidate the powers and the flank stabilised on the line of Holubice-Kruh-Pozořice. The French troops under the command of Marshal Murat and Marshal Lannes, supported by Rivaud’s 1st Infantry Division from the 1st Bernadott’s Column attacked at 11 a. m. The pressure on the impaired left flank of Bagration’s Column forced the Russian to retreat. Then Bagration gradually withdrew to the imperial road towards Rousínov. This retreat was warded off by two of the Austrian Major Frierenberger’s batteries from a hill between the Old Post Office (Stará pošta) and Kovalovice. The major was awarded for this deed with a Knight’s Cross of the Military Order of Mary Theresa. Since 1995, a memorial reminding this episode is placed near the road to Rousínov above the crossing point of Kovalovice-Velešovice.
PS26 Stará pošta (Old Post Office)
The buildings of the Old Post Office of Pozořice on the north-east edge of the battlefield are situated midway between Brno and Vyškov near a state road here,they are preserved almost in their original appearance. The hereditary post office of the Austrian Post was established here in 1785. The general headquarters of both the enemies resided in the building for a certain period of time. On November 28, the French Emperor Napoleon and his Marshals Berthier, Soult and Lannes met here in Marshal Murat’s headquarters. They decided on the deployment of the troops on December 2, 1805. The Russians advancing from Olomouc with their commander General Bagration seized the post office before the battle started. In the morning of December 2, 1805, the Russians set out to attempt to block the left flank of the French, the main point being on Santon Hill. After the battle, Napoleon met an envoy of the Austrian Emperor Franz, the Duke of Liechtenstein, by coincidence the owner of the manor of Pozořice to which the Old Post Office belonged. They agreed to meet near Burnt Mill (Spálený mlýn). This meeting was preceded by peace talks. Napoleon left for the Slavkov Chateau from the Old Post Office and there drafted the main documents of the victors. Nearby the Old Post Office of Pozořice there is a memorial tothe Austrian Major Frierenberger’s firebase, which supported the well-ordered retreat of the Russians under the command of Bagratin with artillery fire.
PS27 Pozořice (Posoritz)
The French entered Pozořice, the centre of Liechtenstein’s manor with a chateau, yard, distillery, brewery and cooperage, on November 19. General Milbaud and 15 soldiers stayed at Mikuláš Kvapil’s vicarage overnight. After his departure, General Adjutant Fontaine and his entourage came and stayed until November 29, 1805. After the battle, the victors engaged in plundering, not only the vicarage was damaged but the manor and granges as well. An alleged mass grave is near the former brickworks and in the “Dvoje” lane. The course of the events of 1805 are described in a chronicle of the vicarage and in the “Chronicles of the Pozořice”.
PS28 Holubice – former mill
Parts of Russian regiments under generals Essen II and Uvarov commanded by the Austrian lieutenant-field marshal Liechtenstein advanced from Krenovice along the Rakovec stream towards Holubice. There at Stara Valcha in heavy muddy terrain they joined the Russian guard arriving from Slavkov (Austerlitz) over Krenovice. The commander of the guard grand prince Konstantin Pavlovich positioned his troops in two lines with infantry in front and cavalry behind. Thus he created a footing against the advancing French. The line was able to hold the French brigade Caffarelli advancing from Holubice. Stara Valcha (the mill) with cossacs around took in his graphics the Brno-native painter and medal maker Karel Zeman.
PS29 Slavkov u Brna (Austerlitz)
Austerlitz, the German name of this little Moravian town, spread worldwide at the end of 1805. It became a symbol of the reinforced domination of France over Europe and an expression of the defeated Anti-Napoleon coalition. Wartime horrors finished temporarily. The Baroque chateau in Slavkov, designed by the Italian architect, Domenic Martinelli, played an important role in history. The Kounic aristocratic family, who owned the chateau, extensively participated in creating the Austrian foreign policy for a number of years. The Russian Tsar Alexander I and the Austrian Emperor Franz I stayed there before the battle broke out. The French Emperor Napoleon chose it to be his temporary seat after the battle finished. On December 6, a truce was signed between France and Austria in the Hall of Mirrors and Napoleon stated his proclamation to his troops from a balcony of the chateau. The most popular words were included in the final part of his proclamation: “If you say: I participated in the fights near Slavkov, everybody will respond – He is a hero “.